Home>About>Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Blueway?

A blueway is a water path or trail that is developed with launch points, camping locations and points of interest for canoeists and kayakers.


What types of activities and events are available in the Blue Water Area?

Please visit the Blue Water Area Convention and Visitor's Bureau at www.bluewater.org  or call 800-852-4242.


Where can I rent a canoe or kayak in St. Clair County?

For more information on Kayak, Canoe and Stand Up Paddleboard rentals, please click here!


Where are the Wheelchair accessible launches?

There are five at this time.  North River Road Park off North River Road in Fort Gratiot Township, the City of St. Clair Marina, Marysville at Chrysler Beach, and the 7th Street Bridge in Port Huron all offer ADA accessible kayak launches.  The newest one is at the 7th Street Bridge in  Port Huron.


Where are the No Wake Zones in the Black River area?

For a map of the No Wake Zones, Click Here!


What should I bring on a trip?

A personal floatation device is required for each person in the watercraft. Children 16 and under must wear their life jackets any time they are on board the boat.
Recommended equipment includes a river map, food, water, sunscreen, footwear (water sandals, river shoes, or old tennis shoes), a shirt for sun protection, a cap or sun hat, insect repellent, sunglasses, ID, cell phone in water proof dry box, and a trash bag.
You may also want to bring a camera, binoculars, and dry bag, fire starter, fishing gear and license, knife, paddling gloves, rain gear, toilet paper and baggies, waterproof flashlight and extra batteries, and extra lines or tie-downs.

How can I find the water access points?

Use the ‘Plan Your Trip' tab on the Blueways website to search for ‘water access' in the box under ‘what are you interested in?'.  The result will be a list of all public water access points identified so far on the website.

Where can I find information about hunting and fishing?

Check out the Michigan DNR website. St. Clair County has over 14,000 acres of public land!

Where can I find emergency information on the website?

Look to the right hand margin of every page; one will see links to Customs and Border Patrol (CBP), the Coast Guard, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Where can I find weather forecast information on the website?

Look to the right hand margin of every page for the near-coastal report.  Links to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and The Weather Channel are located there.

I am a new Kayaker. Where is a good place to practice my kayaking skills in St. Clair County?

The 40th Street Pond park in Port Huron Township is a great place to learn.  The water is shallow, and there is no current or obstrustions in the water.  To find it, use the 'Plan Your Trip' tab and type in'40' for it's location. 

Are thier other water trails in southeast Michigan?

Yes! Check out the following links:

Detroit Heritage River Water Trail at http://www.mac-web.org/Projects/RegionalVision.htm

Tip of the Thumb Heritage Water Trail at http://thumbtrails.com/

Lake St. Clair Coastal Water Trail at http://cityofnewbaltimore.org/home8641181.asp

This page last updated on 4/19/2016.







 deckers landing












Trip Weather Check
Coastal Zone Customs Information

Report Suspicious Activity to River Watch 800-537-3220

Economic Development

Blue Water Area Convention & Visitors Bureau: Discover the Blue

The Weather Channel Nearshore Weather Forecast NOAA Marine Weather Forecast United States Coast Guard 9th District, Call Search and Rescue at 1-800-321-4400 St. Clair County Sheriff Marine Patrol Where the Blue Meets the Green: St. Clair County Economic Development Strategic Plan St. Clair County, Michigan

Home | Coastal Zone | The Routes | Plan a Trip | The Project | FAQs | Community | Request Info or Contact Us 

Michigan Department of Environmental Quality Financial assistance for this project was provided, in part, by the Michigan Coastal Management Program, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), through a grant from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), U.S. Department of Commerce. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration