The Newport Academy was entered into the State of Michiganís Register for Historic Sites on June 15, 1979. Built in 1847, Emily Ward established the academy to provide educational opportunities for area children. Miss Ward was a niece of Samuel Ward, the founder of Newport (now Marine City), and sister of Eber Brock Ward, a shipping magnate and wealthy steel industrialist. She conducted the academy for about 20 years. This was one of the first school buildings in the community. The City bought it in 1868 and moved if from a nearby corner to its present location in 1870. It has served as both a private and public school, a village hall and jail, a hose house, a church, and public library. The Community Pride & Heritage Museum has restored and occupied the structure since 1983. The photo to the right is of the building in 1948.