The museum building is on the state's register of historic places. It was built in 1947 as a schoolhouse called Newport Academy. The museum's artifact and archival collections bring Marine City’s history and heritage to life in three distinctive galleries that includes the Maritime gallery, Lifestyle gallery, and Business & Commercial gallery. Highlights of the exhibits include a 4 ½ by 36 foot diorama of the Belle River in 1885, when 5 shipyards were engaged in producing some of the finest ships on the Great Lakes; complete rooms with furnishings dating back 150 years; and a blacksmith shop built on the grounds of the Museum.

Available in Summer Available in Fall

405 S. Main St.
Marine City, MI 48039
GPS: 42.71608, -82.49433
Hours: Jun-Oct, Sat & Sun: 1pm-4pm